Updated June 2018
- The Privacy Officer of PRO is responsible for the monitoring of personal information collection, use, disclosure, data security and ensuring that all staff receives appropriate training on privacy issues. The Privacy Officer also handles personal information access requests and complaints. The Privacy Officer may be contacted at the following address:
1 Concorde Gate, Suite 302
Phone: (416) 426-7142
Fax: (416) 426-7371
Purpose of Collection
- Receiving communications from PRO in regards to news, campaigns, training, tools and resources, access to information, Community of Practice (A networking discussion board), programs and events.
- Registration in PRO training courses, quality assurance programs, and events.
- Purchasing equipment, manuals, resources and other products.
- Identification and determining eligibility and appropriate skill level.
- Published articles and media relations.
- Database entry to record certifications, tracking, generating reports and granting access to resources.
- Technical monitoring, organizational review, training, and education.
- Posting on PRO’s website and websites related to divisions of PRO, displays or posters.
- Implementing PRO’s screening program.
- Gathering qualitative and quantitative information for research purposes.
- PRO does not sell or disclose its membership list for commercial purposes.
- PRO will obtain consent by lawful means from individuals at the time of collection, prior to the use or disclosure of the personal information. PRO may collect personal information without consent where reasonable to do so and where permitted by law.
- An individual may withdraw consent to the collection, use or disclosure of personal information at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. The Privacy Officer will advise the individual of the implications of such withdrawal.
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- Personal information is protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information against loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- Methods of protection and safeguards include, but are not limited to, locked filing cabinets, restricted access to offices, security clearances, need-to-know access and technological measures including the use of passwords, permissions, encryption and firewalls.
- Information available to the public includes:
- The name or title, address and telephone number of PRO’s Privacy Officer.
- The forms that may be used to access personal information or change information.
- A description of the type of personal information held by PRO, including a general statement of its approved uses.
- Upon written request, and with assistance from PRO, an individual may be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and will be given access to that information. As well, an individual is entitled to be informed of the source of the personal information along with an account of third parties to whom the information has been disclosed.
- Requested information will be disclosed to the individual within 30 days of receipt of the written request at no cost to the individual, or at nominal costs relating to photocopying expenses, unless there are reasonable grounds to extend the time limit.
- An individual may be denied access to his or her personal information if:
- This information is prohibitively costly to provide;
- The information contains references to other individuals;
- The information cannot be disclosed for legal, security or commercial proprietary purposes;
- The information is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege.
- Upon refusal, PRO will inform the individual of the reasons for the refusal and the associated provisions of PIPEDA.
- An individual may challenge PRO’s compliance with PIPEDA, by submitting a challenge in writing.
- Upon receipt of a written complaint, PRO will:
- Record the date the complaint is received;
- Notify the Privacy Officer who will serve in a neutral, unbiased capacity to resolve the complaint;
- Acknowledge receipt of the complaint by way of the telephone conversation or letter clarifying the nature of the complaint within seven (7) days of receipt of the complaint;
- Appoint an investigator using PRO personnel or an independent investigator, who will have the skills necessary to conduct a fair and impartial investigation, and who will have unfettered access to all files and personnel, within fourteen (14) days of receipt of the complaint.
- Upon completion of the investigation, the investigator will submit a written report to PRO.
- Notify the complainant of the outcome of the investigation and any relevant steps taken to rectify the complaint, including any amendments to policies and procedures.
- An individual may appeal a decision made by PRO, in accordance with PRO’s policies for appeals.
When the user's web browser requests a web page from another computer on the Internet, it automatically gives that computer the address where it should send the information. This address is called the computer's "IP address."
PRO does not collect, use or disclose IP Addresses.
Copyright and Legal Disclaimer
This website is a product of PRO. The information on this website is provided as a resource to those interested in PRO. PRO disclaims any representation or warranty, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness or fitness for a particular purpose of the information. Persons accessing this information assume full responsibility for the use of the information and understand and agree that PRO is not responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage arising from the use of this information. Reference to specific products, processes or services does not constitute or imply recommendation or endorsement by PRO. PRO also reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice.
Links made available through this website may allow you to leave the PRO site. Please be aware that the internet sites available through these links are not under the control of PRO. Therefore, PRO does not make any representation to you about these sites or the materials available there. PRO is providing these links only as a convenience to you, and in no way guarantees these links and the material available there. PRO is not responsible for privacy practices employed by other companies or websites.
This site is created and controlled by PRO in the province of Ontario. As such, the laws of the Province of Ontario will govern these disclaimers, terms and conditions.